Quick Takes: 2-5 players 30-60 minutes Ages 8+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play and FUN!)
Ticket to Ride is one of the first games we recommend to friends looking to branch out beyond Monopoly. The original game asks players to build trains across America, a theme so popular that designer Days of Wonder has branched out to offer maps across the world. In this 2020 expansion of the Ticket to Ride game, Days of Wonder takes us across the world to Italy and Japan. How? With a gigantic double-sided game board for twice the fun.
The seventh volume in the map collection series, Ticket to Ride: Japan and Italy expansion continues with the award-winning formula of fast and fun play that made the original such a hit. "The rules are simple enough to write on a train ticket" says game creator Alan R Moon. "The tension comes from being forced to balance greed – adding more cards to your hand, and fear – losing a critical route to a competitor."
On the Italy side of the board, the goal is to connect the regions of Italy together with a network. The Italy map also introduces a new type of ferry route for an extra twist. This is a great map for players who love Ticket to Ride and want to up the challenge a bit.
On the Japan side of the board, the new Bullet Train network can be used by all players once built. The board also has a small inlay so players can also build out the Tokyo subway system. This is a great map for players who want a whole new challenge. There are only a few changes to the familiar Ticket to Ride formula, but they make for a dramatically different and exciting game play.
Have you got your Ticket to Ride?
- Simplicity - easy to learn rules, intuitive strategy, great 'gateway' game
- Family fun - this is great for family game night striking the right balance between interesting for adults and not too challenging for kids
- Air of nostalgia - we promise you might reconsider taking that cross country trip via Amtrak after your first round
- Double-sided board offers new twists for casual gameplayers and those who are little more hardcore about Ticket to Ride
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 2004
- As d’or Game of the Year - 2005
- Meeples Choice Award - 2004