Quick Takes: 1-6 players 90-120 minutes Ages 14+ Level 3 (advanced, looking for a challenge)
I am Root! If you're new to Root, start with the core game. If you're ready for even more Root, this Riverfolk Expansion features even more woodland creatures bent on domination and even more ways to play. You do need the core game to play; this is an expansion only.
The asymmetric aspect of Root makes it a game unlike any we've played, and we have enjoyed the subsequent expansions and developments from the folks at Leder Games. The Riverfolk Expansion adds two new factions to the mix, answering the burning question we all had from the map: what is the river for? Well, the Riverfolk (otters! yay!), of course, who attempt to expand trade operations and become the merchant king! And meet the Lizard Cult, who attempt to indoctrinate the woodland critters and spread the cult creed far and wide.
And there's more! The Vagabond in Root is one of the more unusual game characters we've seen. If you think one Vagabond running around causing mischief and shifting alliances is good, you'll love that the Riverfolk Expansion now allows for two of them for twice the "hey, wait, what did the Vagabond just do?" moments. It also adds three new Vagabond variants, so you'll really never know what that little racoon is up to.
And in a holdover from one of the most innovative game expansions we've seen, Root: The Clockwork Expansion, Riverfolk Expansion features everyone's favorite Mechanical Marquise. This automated faction has a set series of actions and motions to take, so that you can play Root successfully with lower player counts. The core game Root plays best with all 4 factions in the mix, but using the Riverfolk Expansion means a great game and plenty of faction choices for 1, 2, 3, 4 or more players. You can even play cooperatively. (If you want the other mechanical factions, like the Vagabot, you'll still need The Clockwork Expansion).
Like the core game Root, using this expansion works seamlessly over Zoom or other video conferences. Just set up a game board in each household and mirror each other's movements on the main board, while each player uses his or her player mat for their own sequences.
- We love this game so much at Board's Edge Games that we established a weekly Root night
- Unique - very few games have this style of game play and interaction
- Competition - don't be shy
- Strategy - brush up on your negotiating skills, a roll of the dice won't let you win this one!
- Kickstarter cred - Root was a Kickstarter success, and several of its expansions and add-ons have had successful Kickstarter campaigns too!
- 4x Golden Geek Winner: Most Innovative Board Game, Board Game of the Year, Board Game Artwork & Presentation, and Thematic Board Game - 2018