Quick Takes: 2-4 players* 60-90 minutes Ages 12+ Level 3 (advanced, looking for a challenge)
"I am Root." You won't be able to start a game without someone saying it.
Root is an asymmetric strategy game (different players have different goals and objectives. In contrast, Catan is a symmetric strategy game, where everyone has the same objective and the same strategies available to achieve those objectives.) You play as adorable woodland creatures intent on taking sole control of the forest. This is a perfect game for competitive people and rewards you for making alliances and immediately breaking them.
The asymmetric aspect makes this a game unlike any we've played. Each faction has a different way to gain victory points, and each of the factions are different. Some are more straightforward (like the cats) than others, and each have unique mechanics to use to dominate the forest.
*A couple of thoughts from our Board's Edge Games team: your first games will take longer than 90 minutes. Have patience and be prepared to consult the rules quite often for your first few go-rounds. Many people (including us) feel that it plays better at 3-4 players than it does at 2. The great news is, Root plays well over video conference for socially distanced game nights with your group! Two-player Root is good for learning the basic Cat and Eyrie factions, but once you have some practice, we highly recommend you check out Root: The Clockwork Expansion for two-player games and save this core game for 3-4 players.
- We love this game so much at Board's Edge Games that we established a weekly Root night
- Unique - very few games have this style of game play and interaction
- Competition - don't be shy
- Strategy - brush up on your negotiating skills, a roll of the dice won't let you win this one!
- Kickstarter cred - this game was a Kickstarter success, and several of its expansions and add-ons have had successful Kickstarter campaigns too!
- 4x Golden Geek Winner: Most Innovative Board Game, Board Game of the Year, Board Game Artwork & Presentation, and Thematic Board Game - 2018