Quick Takes: 2-4 players 60 minutes Ages 13+ Level 3 (advanced, looking for a challenge)
About the game:
Confusing title, amazing game. Pandemic Legacy Season 1 is a cooperative, legacy game where choices have consequences, narrow victories can haunt you, and some losses are permanent. Game play starts a lot like new classic board game, Pandemic. Each player takes on the role of a specialist and attempts to contain, treat, and cure diseases before they outbreak.
Here is a quick reference on the game title/style:
- Legacy - Board game you can only play twelve times. Ever. No respawning, no going back because someone wants to join the campaign. Story driven campaign where you destroy(!?!?!) game components, permanently alter the board, and every decision has a consequence. The world changes as you gain or lose ground.
- Season - Each season is a different campaign. This is the first one. (Season 0 is the latest one.)
- Blue - Color choice does not matter. The inside is the exact same. Different colors can help you keep track of which copy you were playing, if you love it so much you put together a second group for it.
It's also cooperative. Everyone wins together or loses together. We recommend you play regular Pandemic first as this game has what our guest geek describes as a punishing difficulty level.
Should you play season 1 or Season 0? Honestly, both are great if you are interested in this style and difficulty of game but this season is closer to the original Pandemic while 0 mechanics are revamped to fit a spy theme, so really are you more interested in espionage or curing the world. These are the kinds of existential questions we cannot answer.
- Unique - created a new genre of board game
- Strategic - While there are some random elements, your strategy will lose or win the game
- Won a record 4 Golden Geek awards in 2015 (Best Board Game, Best Thematic Board Game, Best Strategy Board Game, Best Innovative Board Game)