Quick Takes: 1-5 players 30-60 minutes Ages 12+ Level 1 (easy to play, easy to learn, and FUN!)
I see trees of green, red roses too... oh wait no, this is It's a Wonderful World the game, which is a pretty far cry from the Louis Armstrong song! In It's a Wonderful World (the game), players compete to build the best utopian empire. There are multiple routes to make your society the strongest - pursuing military advancements, science, private business or construction projects (or any combination of those), but this game plays quickly over only four rounds so we advise planning and sticking to your plan!
Each round of play has three elements - draft, plan, and produce. The draft phase is especially fun as players each start with 7 development cards, select one, and then pass the other 6 to the next player. This continues until all cards have been distributed. In the planning phase, you then must commit to playing your development cards or recycling them for a recycle bonus (which is different for every card). Playing a card is how you earn victory points and advance your empire, but it is also costly! The production phase comes last, and players earn resources for completed development cards. This is really the round where you can tell if you built a good engine. More resources = more power = victory.
Why We Chose this Game for Board's Edge Games:
- Great "medium" weight game with a fast learning curve but lots of important decision making. We think of this as the little brother of another futuristic empire building game - Terraforming Mars
- Relatively quick play, as the game is limited to four rounds!
- Hot title - with a big Kickstarter following and lot of awards, this one also won the critics over!
Select Awards and Honors:
- Vuoden Peli Best Strategy Game of the Year Winner- 2020
- Golden Geek Best Game of the Year Nominee - 2019
- Tric Trac d'Or (winner) - 2019