Quick Takes: 1-4 players 120 minutes per session Ages 14+ Level 3 (Ready for a new challenge? Try this advanced game)
Gloomhaven isn't your average board game! For starters, the game is 20lbs+. Whats in all that weight? Its the many intricate miniatures, thousands of cards, 17+ punchboards and more that comprise this campaign game. The game is played out over a series of sessions where players work cooperatively together through different dungeons, fighting monsters along the way.
Each player has their own special set of skills which they will enhance as they work through different scenario. The game has elements of “choose your own adventure" where players will have to decide between two options at the end of scenarios. These choices evolve the story and make game play unique.
Each turn, a player chooses two cards to play out of their hand. The number on the top card determines their initiative for the round. Each card also has a top and bottom power, and when it is a player’s turn in the initiative order, they determine whether to use the top power of one card and the bottom power of the other, or vice-versa. Players must be careful, though, because over time they will permanently lose cards from their hands. If they take too long to clear a dungeon, they may end up exhausted and be forced to retreat.
Love RPGs? You might also like Descent: Journeys in the Dark.
- Meets the challenge - the twists in this game make it a great new game for an advanced board gamer
- Great for a regular board game night - the campaign style makes it a ton of fun for a regular group to play weekly. All told the game can take 100+ hours!
- Hot title - this one is all-time number 1 on BGG (Board Game Geeks) for a reason!
- SXSW Tabletop Game of the Year Winner - 2018
- Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Winner - 2017
- and many, many more