Quick Takes: 3-4 players 60-90 minutes Ages 14+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)
This is the game that kicked off the broader category we think of as "new classics". A new classic is an approachable game (not too many rules, doesn't takes days to play) that involves common strategy elements from classic board games (Risk/Monopoly) but is updated with new themes or objectives. Catan, like Dominion, inspired a whole new generation of game designers.
In this multi-award winning game, the goal is to establish economic dominance on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities and roads across the hexagonal tiled board. Catan works well for 3-4 players. Larger groups should check out the extension, which allows for 5-6 players. Couples should check out Rivals for Catan, a dice game for two.
Each turn begins with a roll of the die which determines which resources the island produces. On each turn the respective player can play their resource cards to build road, settlements or upgrades (like turning a house into a hotel). Players score points based on their builds, and the game ends when a player reaches 10 points. You have to be strategic with where you build because sometimes you just need wheat but all you get are sheep.
- Simplicity - easy setup, quick learning curve
- Strategy - this game gets you thinking; brush up on your negotiating skills
- Zoom friendly - relatively uncomplicated to keep boards in sync for socially distanced board game nights
- Oscar winner - winner of the Board Game Oscars (Spiel des Jahres)
Spiel des Jahres Winner - 1995
- Deutscher Spiele Preis,1st place - 1995
- And many, many, many more!