Quick Takes: 3-4 players 60 - 90 minutes Ages 14+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)
This is the game that kicked off the broader category we think of as "new classics". A new classic is an approachable game (not too many rules, doesn't takes days to play) that involves common strategy elements from classic board games (Risk/Monopoly) but is updated with new themes or objectives. Catan, like Dominion, inspired a whole new generation of game designers.
In this multi-award winning game, the goal is to establish economic dominance on the island of Catan by building settlements, cities and roads across the hexagonal tiled board. Catan works well for 3-4 players. Larger groups should check out the extension, which allows for 5-6 players.
Each turn begins with a roll of the die which determines which resources the island produces and on each turn the respective player can play their resource cards to build road, settlements or upgrades (like turning a house into a hotel). Players score points based on their builds and the game ends when a player reaches 10 points. You have to be strategic with where you build because sometimes you just need wheat but all you get are sheep.
- Simplicity - easy setup, quick learning curve
- Strategy - this game gets you thinking; brush up on your negotiating skills
- Zoom friendly - relatively uncomplicated to keep boards in sync for socially distanced board game nights
- Oscar winner - winner of the German Board Game Oscars (Spiel des Jahres)
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 1995
- Deutscher Spiele Preis,1st place - 1995
- And many, many, many more!