Quick Takes: 2-4 players 60-120 minutes Ages 14+ (for advanced gamers looking for a challenge)
Beyond the Sun is just your casual, everyday "decide the technological progress of humankind" type of game. The theme of this game is similar to a few other recent hot titles involving finding a means of supporting life as Earth is dying. RIP Earth. So the faction leaders that once ruled Earth separately must finally now work together to develop cutting-edge technology and explore the depths of space. However, only one leader will truly reign supreme in these new worlds. Will it be you?
This is a "technology tree" game. What's that? In layman's terms, the gameplay involves developing technology that unlocks new nodes of the tree (new technologies). There are four types: scientific, economic, military, or commercial. Just like real technology development, there are often distant (or no?) payoffs in this game. (Love you Silicon Valley!)
In Beyond the Sun, players take turns to take an action available on the technology board, then produce resources. As more technologies are researched, more actions become available to the players. Actions allow players to improve their economy, move spaceships, colonize systems, and research new technologies. Those actions belong exclusively to the player who discovers them until the other players catch up!
The game ends when a number of achievements are fulfilled, and the faction with the most points claims victory!
- Meets the challenge - the twists in this game make it a great new game for an advanced board gamer
- Replay - this game has a lot of card variations which means no two games are the same
- We love the way the game suggests you choose the starting player. The player who has most recently been to space goes first! Works great if you regularly game with Jeff Bezos or William Shatner.
Selected Awards and Honors:
- Diamant d'Or Winner - 2021
- Golden Geek Most Innovative Board Game Nominee and Medium Game of the Year Nominee - 2020