Quick Takes: 2-4 players 30-45 minutes Ages 8+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)
Unleash your internal artist in this lovely, simple game of artful tile design. The name Azul and its styling comes from azulejos tiles that were originally created by the Moors and became famous when King Manuel I of Portugal decorated his palace with them.
In Azul, players take turns drafting colored and patterned tiles for their individual player board from shared supply mats in the middle of the table. Although this is a pretty simple game to set up and learn, there's a lot of strategy involved in selecting your tiles, which gives this game a lot more depth than expected. Points are earned for completing designs on your player board, with bonus points for certain combinations. You also lose points at the end for tiles you cannot place. A successful strategy strikes a balance between offense (taking tiles your opponent needs) and defense (ensuring you are completing your own designs).
- Beauty - a pleasure to behold. Each element is thoughtfully designed.
- Simplicity - easy setup, quick learning curve
- Artistic creativity - this game lets you channel your inner designer, winning style points for your creations
- Family fun - not too complicated for younger gamers, but still interesting for adults. Just the right balance!
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 2018
- Meeples Choice Winner - 2017
- As d'Or Jeu de l'Annee Winner -2018
- and many, many more