Quick Takes: 2-6 players 45-60 minutes Ages 8+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)
Aspiring architects wanted! This game is based on the actual palace/fortress created in 1278 in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains near Granada, Spain. In Alhambra (the game), players collect buildings to create their palatial complex. With six different building types, players score points by having the most buildings of an individual type and for having the longest wall. In an interesting twist, the game also rewards having exact change - a player gets an extra turn if he/she pays the exact amount of money for a building.
This game won the Board Game Oscars all the way back in 2003, so it's fair to ask if the game withstands the test of time. We say yes. There's something about this game that has staying power, and our founders at Board's Edge Games still play this one even though we've owned it for man years. The game is well designed, and the play style/pacing/artwork/balance just click. We think Alhambra belongs on the shelf (and on the table!).
You might also like Azul, a tile-laying game inspired by the azulejos of Portugal.
- Simplicity - easy setup, quick learning curve
- Artistic creativity - this game lets you channel your inner designer, winning style points for your creations
- Zoom friendly - board games are easy to keep in sync for a socially distanced gathering
- Oscar winner - winner of the German Board Game Oscars (Spiel des Jahres)
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 2003
- Vuoden Peli Adult Game of the Year Winner - 2005