Quick Takes: 2+ players 15 minutes Ages 14+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)
No! The octopus is the assassin!
Don't know what we're talking about? Then you haven't played Codenames yet. This is a smash hit in the game world, selling more than 5 million copies to date. When we all go to parties again, this is going to be a hit. It works well on Zoom to an extent, but be prepared to spend as much time syncing the game board across players as playing the game.
Two rival spymasters know the secret identities of 25 agents. Their teammates know the agents only by their code names. To win the game, your team will need to contact all of your agents in the field before the other team finds their own agents. And watch out for the assassin – meet him in the field and your team is done! (The assassin is randomly assigned and different for every game, so don't worry, we didn't just give you a massive spoiler. It's hardly ever the octopus.)
Codenames is simple to explain and easy to understand, with no limit to size of the teams – you can play with four people as well as with twelve! It's a favorite in the Board's Edge Games households, although we prefer Codenames Duet for two players.
- Easy setup - no need to set aside an hour of rule reading ahead of time
- Fast play - great for a game night nightcap or warm-up
- Win or lose equally fun (maybe even more fun when you/your team is losing - figure that?)
- Oscar winner - winner of the Board Game Oscars (Spiel des Jahres)
Selected Awards and Honors:
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 2016
- MinD - Spielepreis Short Game Winner - 2017