Quick Takes: 1-5 players 120 minutes Ages 12+ (for advanced gamers looking for a challenge)
Didn't make Musk's shortlist to colonize Mars? No worries, this game will give you a taste on what you may be missing out on. In the 2400s, mankind is forced to terraform Mars (we will not comment on climate change, oops). To do this, giant corporations sponsored by the World Government on Earth initiate huge projects.
In Terraforming Mars, you play one of those corporations. Earn prestige by contributing to the terraforming process and advancing infrastructure in the solar system. The goals are to do all of the following: raise oxygen levels to 24%, raise the temperature to 8°C (a chilly day in Atlanta), and cover Mars with oceans (30% of the planet will do). This is a resource management and engine building game similar to a few other titles we carry, but with the twist that quite a few of the cards that can be played can actually attack other players. Cooperative? Nope, not in this capitalist game.
Is your game taking a lot longer than the 120 minute estimate on the box? Here's our tip: don't forget to terraform Mars! Our team at Board's Edge noticed that everyone was skipping the terraforming and focusing on advancing our own interests in our first few plays. The game never ends if you don't terraform the planet!
- Multi award winner - this game has won the critics (and us) over. We're sure it will win you over too!
- Strategy - there is a lot of critical thinking involved, luck alone won't let you win this one
- Golden Geek Board Game of the Year, Best Strategy Board Game, and Best Solo Board Game Nominee - 2016
- Vuoden Peli Strategy Game of the Year Winner - 2019
- MinD-Spielepreis Complex Game Winner - 2018
- Board Game Quest Awards Game of the Year Winner - 2016
- Kennerspiel des Jahres Nominee - 2017
- and many more!