Quick Takes: 2-5 players 90-150 minutes Ages 13+ Level 2 (a little more complex or little longer than the classics we all know)
Questions about Trials? Glad you asked! Here are some key things to know before you give it a try:
- We do open box trials of games for 30 days. The 30-day trial period starts from the date you receive the game.
- At the end of the 30-day trial, you have two options: (1) if you love it and want to keep your game, you will be invoiced for the open box cost of $45 less the trial fee paid or (2) you can return the game using our pre-paid return label.
- You will receive an open box, excellent condition game. We thoroughly inspect and sanitize all pieces in between trials.
- At checkout we require you to agree to our full terms and conditions which you can read here.
- Any other questions? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In Puerto Rico, you play as ye old landowner in Puerto Rico, back in the days when ships had sails. By growing up to five different kind of crops – corn, indigo, sugar, tobacco, and coffee – you try to run your business more efficiently than your close competitors: growing crops and storing them efficiently, developing San Juan with useful buildings, deploying colonists to best effect, selling crops at the right time, and, most importantly, shipping goods back to Europe for maximum benefit.
The game system lets players choose the order of the phases in each turn by allowing each player to choose a role from those remaining when it is his turn. No role can be selected twice in the same round. The player who ends up with the most victory points – achieved by shipping goods and building – wins the game.
The thought of playing as a plantation owner admittedly seems a little more loaded now than it did in 2002 when the game came out. But the classics are classics for a reason. This is a fantastic game that has stood the test of time, and the island landowner theme lends itself to an engaging strategy and some fun pirate-themed art.
We carry very few deluxe editions of games at Board's Edge Games, but we made an exception for Puerto Rico. We love all our children equally, but if you've played the original, you know it was... kind of unattractive. (You can see it in the "How to Play" video we chose.) This deluxe edition of the game gives great bang for the buck, with a lot of upgrades to the game plus some expansions to keep you engaged. Expansions use the original game (often called the "base game") but create new rules, storylines, and characters to add interest to the game. What's in the box:
- The Puerto Rico game
- Expansion: New Nobles
- Expansion: Nobles
- Gateway game - a good entry point into more complicated board games, this game features a lot of new rules/game playing styles but is still approachable for newbies
- Strategy - this game gets you thinking; brush up on your negotiating skills
- Oscar nominee - nominated for the prestigious Spiel des Jahres in 2002