Quick Takes: 2-5 players 30-60 minutes Ages 8+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play and FUN!)
Ticket to Ride is one of the first games we recommend to friends looking to branch out beyond Monopoly. The original Ticket to Ride game asks players to build trains across America, a theme so popular that designer Days of Wonder has branched out to offer maps across the world. In this second installment of the Ticket to Ride game series, Days of Wonder takes us to Europe.
Ticket to Ride: Europe continues the award-winning formula of fast and fun play that made the original such a hit. "The rules are simple enough to write on a train ticket" says game author, Alan R Moon. "The tension comes from being forced to balance greed – adding more cards to your hand, and fear – losing a critical route to a competitor." This is a complete game on its own - you don't need to own any other games in the series to play.
This game offers some luxury upgrades suitable for your Euro-trip, with larger cards and new play elements like ferries and tunnels. There are also a couple of tweaks to game play that make this train game slightly more family-friendly than the original. We call the Board's Edge Games Warehouse Bear "Vanderbilt" as he loves to dominate the map of Ticket to Ride, blocking key routes with his trains and forcing us on long detours. Sorry Vanderbilt, but the addition of Train Stations in this game allow players to use routes that others have built. It takes the competitive vibes down a notch.
Have you got a Ticket to Ride?Why we chose this game for Board's Edge:
- Simplicity - easy to learn rules, intuitive strategy, great 'gateway' game
- Family fun - this train themed game is great for family game night, striking the right balance between interesting for adults and not too challenging for kids
- Air of nostalgia - we promise you might reconsider taking that trans-Europe train vacation after your first round
- Spiel des Jahres Winner - 2004
- As d’or – Game of the Year - 2005
- Meeples Choice Award - 2004