Quick Takes: 1-4 players 30 -60 minutes Ages 8+ Level 2 (slight more complicated/takes longer than the classics we all know )About the game:
The new moon is a symbol for a new beginning, the perfect time to start something new and to plan your future — and that is what Nova Luna (Latin for new moon) is all about. In the game, players take turns selecting tiles from around the outer edge of the ‘Moon Wheel’, and placing them into their tableaus in order to try to fulfill various objectives printed on the tiles.
Players must optimize their tile choices and plan for the future based on the dwindling supply of tiles. And with every "new moon", players need a new strategy based on what the board has to offer.
This game relies more on strategy than on luck, though it does have a small element of luck. You'll often see this called an "abstract" strategy game because the theme ("moon") drives the graphics but doesn't really come into the game play. It could just as easily be called "Nova Pizza" and play exactly the same way.Why we chose this game for Board's Edge:
- Strategy - like our description says this isn't about the luck on a roll of the dice
- Easy setup - no need to set aside an hour of rule reading ahead of time
- Fast play - great for a game night nightcap or warm-up
- Classic with a twist - this is an abstract strategy game, like chess or checkers, but with a modern twist
- Spiel des Jahres Nominee - 2020
- MinD - Spielepreis (German for "Game Prize") Short Game Nominee - 2020