Quick Takes: 2-4 players 30 minutes Ages 6+ Level 1 (easy to learn, easy to play, and FUN!)About the game:
At Board's Edge, Catan was the gateway game for our board game addiction. Now that we have some little gamers in the family, we were very excited to discover Catan Jr. Yes, it's Catan for kids!
Similar to the grown up version, Catan Jr. is about resource management on a ring of islands where players build hideouts, avoiding the mysterious Spooky Island where the Ghost Captain lives. Each island generates a specific resource (wood, goats, molasses, or swords), and players can acquire gold. Each player starts with two pirate hideouts, then builds ships in order to expand their network. The more hideouts you build, the more resources you (might) get. Use your resources to build ships, hideouts, or get help from Coco the Parrot. Just watch out for the dreaded Ghost Captain!
Why we chose this game for Board's Edge:
- Simplicity - easy setup, quick learning curve
- Family fun - fun for the whole family, and kids can beat the parents (ask us know we know!)
- Oscar winner - the adult version Catan was the winner of the Board Game Oscars (Spiel des Jahres)
- Origins Awards Best Family, Party, or Children's Game Nominee - 2013
- Boardgames Australia Awards Best Children's Game Winner - 2013
- Golden Geek Best Children's Board Game Nominee - 2012